Friday, September 26, 2008

Fun at the Orchard

Our favorite fall activity here in Michigan is visiting the apple orchards. There is a great orchard right up the road from us. So last night we went to get some fresh apples and have apple cider and donughts. Yum!!
We didn't do the tractor ride last night- but you can get on the tractor, it will take you to the part of the orchard that you want to pick apples from and drop you off to fill up your bags. We didn't have much time last night, so we just decided we'd do it later.
Ronnie trying to convince the chickens to come eat... didn't work.
They were too 'chicken'
The animals were hilarious last night- we had geese chasing us, making the loudest, weirdest noise they could possibly make. Finally a staff member came and chased them around the farm (that was funny all in itself) and put them behind the fence. Then we had roosters crowing at us, goats chasing the girls beside the fence for more food.
All in all, what a blast!
I always knew my children and husband were animals!!
Here are a few pictures of the girls feeding the animals.

Sorry Briana, I cut off your head. :)
There's her head!
This orchard is fantastic!
All year 'round they have different things that they grow that you can go and either pick yourself or just buy from them. The last 2 years I've gotten their fresh sweet corn, shucked it, put it in the freezer and it lasted us all winter long. Oh my goodness- that corn is sooo good. They also have things like asparagus (not crazy about), strawberries, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, honey from their own hives... etc... etc...
Maybe this weekend I'll bake an apple pie. Wish me luck.


3 comments:

Amanda said...

oh!! I remember that orchard! it was the last one we went to that fall we were living there. the donuts were Soooooooooo good. and I'm a little jealous that you got some and I didn't. ;)

Anonymous said...

apple pickin' is THE BEST!!!! I'm so jealous.

Rob and Heather said...

The Apple Orchards were some wonderful memories from Michigan. Loved being the apple cider, and doughnuts. Yep. Your post makes me want to come back.Love this time of year up there.