Friday, September 26, 2008

You know you're not in the south anymore when...

Okay, I've lived here in Michigan coming up on 5 1/2 years now. (goodness, it doesn't seem that long). Anyway, I am reminded all the time that I am NOT in the good 'old south. Here's what I mean. I've concocted my own list of what I encounter when I come to the realization that I am far from home.

You Know You're Not in the South Anymore When...

1. ... people are mystified and so curious about grits. These are the questions I get... "What is it?" "What do you eat with it?" "How do you make them?" "Is it like cream of wheat?"
I'm going to have a grits party one day. Hey, just thought of something - we just had grits for dinner tonight. haha They were yummy.

2....I have to order raw peanuts online just so I can boil them myself (because they do not know what those are up here!!). Then you offer them to friends and they say, "A What peanut?" then I answer, " A boiled peanut"... their reply... "Eewww!" Nobody I know from home would ever say that!!

3. ... people think it is so cute that my children say "Yes Ma'am, No Ma'am, Yes Sir and No Sir". Where I come from, it's not cute, you get a spankin if you don't say it!!

4. ... when you go to the grocery store and you talk to the cashier and she asks, "Where are you from?" Most of the time, I just answer "Commerce". haha I know they're so confused. Actually, most of the time I'll let them looked confused before I tell them I'm from South Carolina. Then I get, "Oh, I thought you had an accent." Well, DUH!! I usually tell people that if they think I have an accent, wait til they hear the rest of my relatives. Whew! Most of them sound like Paula Deen. :)

5. ... everyone around you thinks a Bar-B-Q is something you DO (which results in burgers, hotdogs or steak), not something you EAT. :)

Okay, that was fun. If I think of others, I'll add them. But for now those are all the things that comes to mind . Most of those happen ALL THE TIME. I love Michigan, the people here are so sweet and alot of fun. And I love being the southerner that stands out in the crowd of northerners. And if I EVER start talking like a NORTHERNER, somebody shoot me!!!

6 comments:

Pamelia said...

You will NEVER talk like a Northerner! We miss Y'ALL here in the SOUTH!!!!

Amanda said...

you're such a riot! yes, I miss the southern exposure that I got around you. here's a dumb question: how do you make boiled peanuts? do you add salt? how long do you boil them? it sounds really good.

Leigh This Way said...

HAHAHA!! So funny and soo true! Whenever I visit my relatives they always make fun of my accent. Isn't so crazy how we live in the same country but things can be so different?!

Anonymous said...

that was great, Sis. Gantt! My mom always told me when I went out to school at Ricks to make sure I say my prayers in Southern - really draw out the accent that way it stays with you.

Rob and Heather said...

So funny. You always make me laugh. I just love ya. As I was reading your post, I could hear your accent coming through. I love it!!!

Libbi said...

LOTS AND LOTS OF SALT!!!! (for the boiled pnuts!) I married a sweet yankee from Long Island NEW YORK and I will never forget my first visit. I love my inlaws but they said they were having barbque just for me and I was tasting barbque and so surprised when it was just a cookout with hamburgers!!!!